Subject: Re: rfv: faq on /etc/default
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/2000 09:21:14
John Hawkinson writes:
> | 	  Its probably worth including this info in an FAQ - can one of the
> | 	  www elves handle? :)
>
> As always, it is wrong for this information to be in the FAQ unless
> it's also in the release documentation. Manpages and install notes,
> etc.

Why? It is quite possible for someone to ask a Frequently Asked Question
about the historical reasoning behind a decision, and they want to
know the answer to it. Should the 3-4 page explanation behind a feature
decision be in a man page or install note, or just the description of
the new change.

I'm not arguing that some of the information in my original post shouldn't
be put into install notes for a release, however.