Subject: Re: BS & DEL
To: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/01/2000 09:52:54
On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Lucio De Re wrote:

# What is the rationale behind configuring the PC keyboard to issue
# DEL from the <- (otherwise known as backspace) key?
#
# What is the situation with other architectures, do they also deviate
# from the conventional (call it native) keyboard mapping?
#
# I presume DEL as the character erase is traditional of Berkeley Unix?

Yes.  And DEL as intr is traditional of AT&T Unix. :-,

I find the reverse mapping annoying as well, since the delete key has
shown up in SO many different spots and I stopped using it for a back-
space key years ago.  First change I make is 'stty erase "^H"', largely
because I find myself using literally Control+H to do my backspacing.

[ 'course, I actually USE the DEL key as my intr 8-). ]

But that's just me.  The screwy mapping of <- to DEL, though, I do find
bothersome.

FWIW:  The SPARC port, at least, does not do this.

# ++L

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: safe ports in a storm.