Subject: Re: BS & DEL
To: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/01/2000 12:32:42
> What is the rationale behind configuring the PC keyboard to issue
> DEL from the <- (otherwise known as backspace) key?
>
> What is the situation with other architectures, do they also deviate
> from the conventional (call it native) keyboard mapping?
>
> I presume DEL as the character erase is traditional of Berkeley Unix?

Hmm, need more context.  Is this at the console (running wscons?) or under
X?  I know there have been some changes under X with the new version of
xterm (and also our xterm termcap has changed).

Not all other architectures have a backspace key where the PC key is.  Some
have backspace, some have del.  Some have both keys.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/