Subject: Re: changing how ftpd handles multiple data paths with a client
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/13/2000 01:30:41
On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 11:35:57AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> Aidan Cully writes:
> > >
> > > Ah, of course! Good thinking. What do you think about rewriting ftpd?
> >
> > Real People will use IPv6 before I actually finish writing an FTP
> > server. :-)
> >
> > I guess this is considered a good idea, then?  Good, then I guess
> > I'll get started.
>
> rewriting ftpd from scratch? you're keen :-)

It certainly wouldn't be the first project of mine to get nowhere...
though, I guess, a strict reading of what I wrote would just mean I
would finish some time after 1998.

> i'd be very interested in liaising with you in testing this, etc.
> especially anything involved with the UI side of the code.
>
> if you're just going to retrofit stuff in to make the rfc2228 stuff
> easier, then ithat's probably a lot less effort.

That was going to be stage 1, definately.  Stage 2 was going to be
support for rfc2228, which I figured I would also attempt to tackle,
after a little hiatus.  I was going to leave policy and client logic
(which, I think, includes what you mean by UI) to someone else more
qualified to deal with that stuff.  That probably means you. :-)

If you'd like to be more involved with the API changes, I'm only too
happy to talk...  The more review the earlier the better.

> there have been many times when i've considered rewriting ftp and ftpd
> from the ground up; there's a lot of old crusty code in there :-)

Not to worry...  If my patches are acceptable, a lot of that'll soon
be replaced with all *new* crusty code.

--aidan