Subject: Re: /etc/*.conf reorg (was Re: `rc.local.conf': bad nam )
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/12/2000 07:07:54
On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 03:25:42AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> I have an alternate suggestion:
>
> * move all the existing `template' /etc/*.conf to /etc/default/*.conf
>
> * change each of the *.conf files to something like:
>
>   -- /etc/rc.conf --
> 	# Read in defaults.  Add local overrides below.
> 	#
> 	if [ -r /etc/default/rc.conf ]; then
> 		. /etc/default/rc.conf
> 	fi
>
> 	# Set to YES once you've added your local defaults
> 	#
> 	rc_configured=NO
>
> 	# Add local overrides below
> 	#
>   -- --

  Yet another alternative would be to create /etc/local and populate it
as needed with (optional) *.conf files, read in (if they exist) by the
as-shipped default files in /etc.  I think I like Luke's idea better, but
this scheme does satisfy the concerns about completely separating locally
maintained files from vendor-supplied files.