Subject: Re: A random thought about partitioning
To: Jones, Carrie <carrie.jones@anchorgaming.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/11/2000 13:59:07
On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 11:41:03AM -0600, Jones, Carrie wrote:
> I know that if you go through install programs (i.e. freebsd, open etc ad
> nauseum) that overlapping partitions are not allowed. Are there any
> situations where people need to have overlapping partitions? If not, why are

Yes. You are repartitioning a system and have some of the partitions open.
You cannot resize an open partition, so you set another partition to overlap
the existing partition. You then reboot, happy in the knowledge that
your disklabel program doesn't think it is smarter than you.

Disklabel programs that try to be smart and prevent people from doing
dangerous things in my experience are a PITA.

"You're a slacker if you only give 90% 'cause you are afraid of the \
  other 10%."    -- Ross Smith               Apr 22 1999 2:29am