Subject: Re: chown -RL and -h.
To: enami tsugutomo <enami@sm.sony.co.jp>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/09/2000 19:14:08
On 10 Aug 2000, enami tsugutomo wrote:

# > I've always found it annoying that "chmod" don't allow -Rh, even
# > though "chown" does. What I'd like "chmod" -Rh foo bar" to do is
# > change the owner of everything in heirarchy "bar" to "foo", whether
# > it's a symlink or not, dangling or not, just like "chown". Simple?
#
# Probably, someone modified chown to allow -Rh just didn't remind about
# chmod, I guess.

Before you guys jump off your cliff, there, can you enlighten me as to
why chmod should be changing ownerships in the first place? :-)

[did the code to allow different permissions on symlinks than on their
 targets ever get implemented?  I haven't played with it :-)]

# enami.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD, Net Profit.