Subject: Re: bin/10775: cron exits on stat failure
To: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/08/2000 11:13:52
    Date:        Mon, 07 Aug 2000 21:04:46 -0400
    From:        Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>

  | The cron failures on my system happen maybe once every 3-4 months, so
  | it may take a while before I have anything to go on.

For a while I had it happening every hour or so .. it could die within
minutes of booting a system, then minutes of restarting cron, then perhaps
run a week, then die again several times in a hurry.

On the system running the restart shell loop, I see ...

Aug  7 15:42:03 muckleshoot CRON_RESTART: restarting cron
Aug  6 19:19:24 muckleshoot CRON_RESTART: restarting cron
Aug  5 09:24:13 muckleshoot CRON_RESTART: restarting cron
Aug  3 13:17:00 muckleshoot CRON_RESTART: restarting cron
Aug  4 02:54:41 muckleshoot CRON_RESTART: restarting cron
Aug  3 02:47:23 muckleshoot CRON_RESTART: restarting cron
Aug  3 03:45:47 muckleshoot CRON_RESTART: restarting cron
Jul 31 22:05:30 muckleshoot CRON_RESTART: restarting cron

(the odd time sequence is because I grep'd the backup cron log files,
so the basic order is from most to least recent - but then when two or
more restarts happened within the lifetime of one log file, they appear
in chronological order...)

Since I seem to see this more than anyone else on the planet, I guess
I should spend some more time attempting to work out why.

kre