Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/07/2000 08:50:53
On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 05:38:43PM +0200, Johan Danielsson wrote:

 > Ok, this seem to have some support in hier(7), but doesn't this just
 > prove that hier is pretty busted? To me it looks like thought out
 > ideas on where to put stuff, mixed with random historical trivia.
 >
 > Why should inetd live in sbin, but telnetd in libexec? Why is inetd
 > more likely to be `executed by the super-user' than telnetd?

telnetd is not a standalone daemon -- it basically needs to be started
from inetd.  The same is true of ftpd.  Because they are both started
from inetd (i.e. "by another program"), they live in /usr/libexec.

However, things like the KDC, rpc.bootparamd, rarpd, etc. are not
run from inetd (or any other program) -- they are typically started
by the superuser (and, while that startup may be automated by rc.d,
it is possible to start them manually).

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>