Subject: Re: /etc/localtime
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/02/2000 11:12:14
>>i still think it should be a link, but that people should waste the
>>one disk block it takes to copy it to the underlying path (ie, with
>>nothing mounted on top of it).
>
>	The argument Todd raised was, we should copy the timezone file
>	so that we can use time-related functions even before we mount /usr.

i know.  i just think my idea's better.  :)

>>>	this reminds me one thing.
>>>	is the following fragment in src/etc/Makefile okay?  if not, what
>>>	should we do?  (added in revision 1.48)
>>>ln -s /usr/sbin/rmt ${DESTDIR}/etc/rmt
>>looks good to me.  since it's a symbolic link, the target is going to
>>be relative to where it's unpacked, like say...a distribution?  :)
>
>	my question follows the same path as Todd's.  should we make
>	/etc/rmt available even when /usr is unmounted, or can we
>	live with dangling /etc/rmt while /usr/ is unmounted?

oh!!!  i see now.  um...i think it's only there for *other* systems
that expect to find it there when calling on your machine to use rmt
(via rexec, i believe).

i don't think the average disaster recovery plan calls for the
sysadmin to use rmt from /etc.  there are no other binaries in /etc.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|