Subject: Re: /etc/localtime
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/02/2000 23:16:37
>>>We shouldn't *link* /etc/localtime to anything.  /etc/localtime is used by
>>>programs to generate localized dates.  It's in /etc because almost 40
>>>programs in /bin and /sbin can generate date information (for logging and
>>>whatnot).  However, symlinking it into /usr/share is really, REALLY
>>>annoying, because /usr or /usr/share may not be mounted until some important
>>>programs are run to set up the network.  This should be _copied_ from
>>>/usr/share, preferably from a `timezone picker' in sysinst.
>i still think it should be a link, but that people should waste the
>one disk block it takes to copy it to the underlying path (ie, with
>nothing mounted on top of it).

	The argument Todd raised was, we should copy the timezone file
	so that we can use time-related functions even before we mount /usr.

>>	this reminds me one thing.
>>	is the following fragment in src/etc/Makefile okay?  if not, what
>>	should we do?  (added in revision 1.48)
>>ln -s /usr/sbin/rmt ${DESTDIR}/etc/rmt
>looks good to me.  since it's a symbolic link, the target is going to
>be relative to where it's unpacked, like say...a distribution?  :)

	my question follows the same path as Todd's.  should we make
	/etc/rmt available even when /usr is unmounted, or can we
	live with dangling /etc/rmt while /usr/ is unmounted?

itojun