Subject: /etc/localtime
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/02/2000 08:53:47
On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: This reminds me, what happened of the plan to link /etc/localtime to
: usr/share/zoneinfo/Factory by default?

We shouldn't *link* /etc/localtime to anything.  /etc/localtime is used by
programs to generate localized dates.  It's in /etc because almost 40
programs in /bin and /sbin can generate date information (for logging and
whatnot).  However, symlinking it into /usr/share is really, REALLY
annoying, because /usr or /usr/share may not be mounted until some important
programs are run to set up the network.  This should be _copied_ from
/usr/share, preferably from a `timezone picker' in sysinst.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/