Subject: Re: `rc.local.conf': bad name
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/31/2000 20:41:46
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# > Because I think the information should be centralized.  My objection is
# > not over being able to do diffs, or the virtues of source control;
# > my objection is to splintering all the params out into their rc scripts
# > (opinions previously stated on (can_of_worms (*(**)())[])_that_).
#
# Ah, Ummm..., either you didn't read what I wrote; or I didn't write what
# I meant to write; or you really do need to rethink your position from
# the ground up.

It probably turns into something like "I didn't read what you meant
to write and I should probably rethink your position" :-).

# I'm *NOT* talking about creating a whole bunch of new little config
# files, but rather quite the opposite.  I'm talking about moving the
# configuration *defaults* into the same places where they are used and
# maintained, thus making the developer's jobs *MUCH* easier, while at the
# same time keeping local changes to those defaults in one central master
# file -- a central file that should contain only localisations.

Okay, fsync(fd) returned 0, thanks.

# > # People really should learn to use the likes of RCS (or SCCS! :-)
# >
# > RCS was invented because AT&T was tight-fisted about SCCS.
#
# Ah, no, not really.  Maybe it was because of drawbacks perceived in
# SCCS, though as the "Applying RCS and SCCS" authors say (paraphrased),
# since RCS was created a full decade after SCCS and in full view of SCCS,
# why isn't it a whole lot better than it is?

Didn't know that (damn, I'm ignorant!).  Yeah, rcsdiff doesn't work quite
right, I've found.  (sccsdiff seems to work more correctly...)

# Given that the BitKeeper guys chose to stick with SCCS even after having
# lots of experience with RCS, and after doing at least some technical
# analysis of RCS, one has to even further wonder at the merits of RCS.

I use it because I thought that SCCS was restricted.  That and CVS
runs a superset of RCS.

# (BTW, tight-fisted or not, there are now at least two free
# implementations of SCCS! ;-)

Oh, sure, NOW there are! :-)

#

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD:  Don't login as root, use the su command.