Subject: Re: `rc.local.conf': bad name
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/31/2000 14:03:47
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# > # and the idea of gettting rid of (/etc/rc.conf) completely,
# > # incorporating the defaults directly into the various scripts.
# >
# > Kill that before it multiplies.
#
# If you had an original copy with which you can do a three-way diff,
# either in RCS or /var/backups, why would you care?

Because I think the information should be centralized.  My objection is
not over being able to do diffs, or the virtues of source control;
my objection is to splintering all the params out into their rc scripts
(opinions previously stated on (can_of_worms (*(**)())[])_that_).

I should at least be given the option.  No viconfig or confedit or any
other brain-dead BS tool like that.  Edit.  Write.  Quit.  End of story.
My rc.conf configuration would override any notion the script might even
be considering; any other behaviour is brain-dead.

#
# People really should learn to use the likes of RCS (or SCCS! :-)

RCS was invented because AT&T was tight-fisted about SCCS.

# religiously, but in the mean time diff3 has been there nearly forever!
#

This is all well and good for comparisons between installations/upgrades,
and that's cool.  No objections here.

#

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: Twice the Bits-Clean of other Leading OSes.