Subject: Re: `rc.local.conf': bad name
To: Andy Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/31/2000 11:22:09
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Andy Doran wrote:

: > > This isn't a config file for rc.local; it's a local configuration overrides
: > > file for rc.conf.  Therefore, shouldn't this be named `rc.conf.local' (note
: > > the swap of the last two parts)?
: >
: > If I recall correctly, the logic was that all config files end in ".conf".
: > Eg, "less /etc/*.conf".
:
: The rc.local.conf thing is irritatating. I agree with Todd.

I could see the argument for rc.local.conf, if it were a configuration file
proper--but it isn't.  rc.conf is the configuration file; this new file is
just an add-on to that.

There's a Bunch of files in /etc that use the suffix .local to indicate that
this is an "addendum to" or "local override for" the basename file.  This
would indicate, to me, that I should find site/machine specific addendums to
rc.conf [the config file] in rc.conf.local, and that `rc.local.conf' is a
config file for its basename, `rc.local'.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/