Subject: Re: sendmail and NIS
To: None <wennmach@geo.Uni-Koeln.DE>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/27/2000 22:20:11
"Dr. Lex Wennmacher" writes:
> On Jul 27,  7:55pm, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> > 	mail.aliases NIS map has no relationship with nsswitch.conf.
>
> Well, maybe it should.
> Solaris does it:
> % grep aliases /etc/nsswitch.conf
> aliases:     files nis
>
> Tru64 does it:
> % grep aliases /etc/svc.conf
> aliases=local,yp
>
> I think we should include support for aliases in nsswich.conf, too, and make
> sendmail use it.

The primary reason we don't have nsswitch support for aliases is that
I didn't get around to writing it, not because I have any objection to
the idea.

In fact, if you look in <nsswitch.h> you'll actually find a list of
suggested databases to implement, and `aliases' is one of them.

I'd be happy to provide assistance in writing the back-end nsswitch
`dispatch' routines for `files' and `nis', and converting the relevant
software into using it.

Luke.