Subject: Re: Defaults number of ptys incorrect?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/26/2000 13:48:54
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Greywolf wrote:

: # It would be cool to make ptys a cloning device probably. Anyone feels
: # like doing it ?
:
: Only if it doesn't turn out like Solaris cloning pty allocator -- that
: thing has caused me more grief than I can describe.  With nothing holding
: a pty (according to ls -lL, ps and fuser), it will occasionally refuse
: to acknowledge that the pty is allocable.

That's more likely a bug in the Solaris cloning code.  I'd personally like
to see it have the additional /dev/ptmx interface such as SVR4 has, because
a lot of software can support this now--and it wouldn't require
"scanning" all the pty nodes with open(2) to find one that wasn't in use.

(Look at the code in compat/svr4 that implements the ptmx device emulation.
There's gotta be an easier way than using this kind of code over and over
again.)

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)