Subject: Re: Suggestion: inclusion of the truncate(1) utility into the tree
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/24/2000 12:13:03
On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 11:57:37AM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> digression: would anyone like it if cp(1) and mv(1) (and maybe
> others?) both had a "-t target" options so that you could do things
> like:
>
>     find foo -type f -name \*.bar | xargs mv -t otherthere
>
> or is it just me?

Wouldn't it be "more portable" if xargs was updated to be more complete?
HP-UX xargs allows for the substitution of a string with the input
given to xargs. The string to be substituted can be specified with an
additional argument.

find foo -type f -name \*.bar | xargs -iBAZ mv BAZ otherthere

As near as I can tell offhand, GNU and HP-UX xargs support this.

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.