Subject: Re: Suggestion: inclusion of the truncate(1) utility into the tree
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
From: Alexander Langer <alex@FreeBSD.ORG>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/22/2000 19:02:03
Thus spake Matthew Orgass (darkstar@pgh.net):

> 1) truncate(2) is not general enough.  This should be fixed *before* a
> utility to use it is created.

What do you mean w/ "general enough"?

> 2) truncate(1) should not create the file by default.

We've discussed that one on freebsd-arch for a long time and came to
the conclusion, that it should create the file because of "POLA"
(Principle of least astonishment): touch(1) and other tools that are
expected to do different jobs do create files by default, too.
(Remember: touch(1)'s job is to modify inodes, not to create files).

> 3) Even when doing file relative truncate you should be able to specify an
> additional relative size.

Good point.

> 4) "truncate file" should mean truncate to zero.

No, that's a security risk.

Alex

--
cat: /home/alex/.sig: No such file or directory