Subject: Re: Suggestion: inclusion of the truncate(1) utility into the tree
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/21/2000 18:34:16
> > If you are concerned about discrepancies with other BSDs, you should try
> > to get NetBSD (and maybe BSDi ? I don't follow BSDi...) to include perl
> > in their base distribution.
>
>Oh, puhleeze!  perl is far from necessary to do many of thing things
>its used for in `base distributions'.

it's not necessary, no, but it *is* becoming rather ubiquitous.
freebsd has it, linux has it (of course), and even solaris comes with
it now.  solaris 8, that is, which is one weird beast.  while far from
necessary for most things, it's probably one of the few things that
almost *anyone* will be installing.

>Maybe people should actually learn shell and awk better.

yes.  and sed.  can *anyone* suggest a good sed reference?  i've seen
huge things done with sed, but *nwever* found a better reference than
the man page...and that doesn't go very far.  certainly not far enough
to teach me how to do some of the things that i've seen.

>Anyway, the last thing that embedded systems people want is perl
>required by basic system scripts.

ugh.  yuck.  bleah!

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|