Subject: Re: Suggestion: inclusion of the truncate(1) utility into the tree
To: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>
From: David Terrell <dbt@meat.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/21/2000 15:32:59
On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 12:31:00PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > > However, I spoke with Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@FreeBSD.ORG>, and
> > > we came to the conclusion, that--for portability--it could be nice
> > > to have truncate(1) in all the BSD's.
> >
> > In the interests for portability, it would have been nice if you had
> > not added something as useless as this.
>
> I overstated the case here.  It's not useless.  But the power it
> provides is not significant compared to the impact it can have on the
> portability of shell scripts.

If the functionality is available with standard Unix/Posix(/XPG4!  :))
functionality, reference it to save everyone some time.  If it's
not, well, it might make sense to create something new.

Progress is good, when it's actually progress.

--
David Terrell           | If a crypto algorithm is cracked in a forest
Nebcorp Prime Minister  | and a tree falls on a mime, does microsoft