Subject: Suggestion: inclusion of the truncate(1) utility into the tree
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, tech@openbsd.org>
From: Alexander Langer <alex@FreeBSD.ORG>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/21/2000 20:02:27
Hello!

FreeBSD recently imported a truncate(1) utility into their
src-tree, which is a command-line frontend to truncate(2).

From its usage:
usage: truncate [-c] -s [+|-]size[K|M|G] file ...
       truncate [-c] -r rfile file ...

-s truncates the file to a given filesize.  Sizes relative to the
actual size is possible with the +/- operator, which K|M|G specifies
Kilo/Mega/Gigabyte respectively.
-r sets the filesize to the filesize of the file rfile.
-c prevents truncate from creating a file if it's doesn't exist.

We've tried to keep this tool clean and smooth, as discussed on the
FreeBSD-Arch Mailingliste <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>.

However, I spoke with Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@FreeBSD.ORG>, and
we came to the conclusion, that--for portability--it could be nice
to have truncate(1) in all the BSD's.

With this mail I'd like to encourage the other BSD's to discuss
the inclusion of truncate(1) as well.

The source can be found at
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/usr.bin/truncate/
(add .tar for the whole dir, you know)

Alex
--
cat: /home/alex/.sig: No such file or directory