Subject: Re: bin/10611: /usr/bin/which reads user's .chsrc even if user's
To: =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dole=E8ek?= <dolecek@ibis.cz>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/19/2000 11:54:01
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Jarom=EDr Dole=E8ek wrote:

> Todd Whitesel wrote:
> > Quite.
> >=20
> > I've just verified it on a 1.4U machine (my workpad z50, hpcmips).
> >=20
> > I was happy submitting a minor diff, but actual removal of /usr/bin/whi=
ch
> > is something I'd rather not handle, as I'm still a relative newbie to C=
VS
> > and the interdependencies in the tree...
> >=20
> > Can I interest someone in performing the actual amputation so this PR c=
an
> > go to bug heaven?
>=20
> I'd like to change it to be alias for whereis(1), with appropriate
> notes in manpage, mentioning historic implementation, the change and
> csh which builtin.
>=20
> Opinions ?

No.  which is supposed to tell you which specific instance of the command
is being executed.  It is not appropriate to replace it with whereis(1).

If you insist on using a bourne-ish shell and type `which' instead of the
more appropriate `type' then you can add to your .profile:

=09alias=09which=3Dtype

If your shell does not have aliases then get a better shell.

Eduardo Horvath=09=09=09=09  =20