Subject: Re: newsyslog
To: Cillian Sharkey <cns@psn.ie>
From: Andy Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/13/2000 15:45:31
Cillian Sharkey <cns@psn.ie> wrote:

> 1) Have an option to exec a program after rotating a logfile, with the first
>    argument of the program being the name of the rotated logfile. This could
>    be used for logfile parsing (e.g. 'logtail'). The logfile would have to
>    be uncompressed at this stage of course.

Doing something like this would make old configuration files useless, one
way or another. I think I'll leave this for later... Although that said, a
step has been taken in that direction; specifying the 'p' flag will keep the
zero'th historical log file uncompressed.

> 2) For multiple logfiles belonging to the same process, does newsyslog end
>    up HUP'ing the process for each log file? Perhaps, HUP'ing once would be
>    better?

Ok. I have made changes locally that do something along the lines of what
you suggest.