Subject: Re: /var/run/ (was Re: newsyslog)
To: Greywolf <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/12/2000 19:28:25
>#    alias hup 'kill -HUP `head -1 /var/run/\!$.pid`'
># would be better, since some things (sendmail, others?) store more than
># just a pid in there.  unless, of course, i'm simply expected to ignore
># the errors that kill gives me from that.
>I'm curious as to why sendmail doesn't write it out in the format
>That way you could do
>eval kill `cat /var/run/`
>and it would effectively do a restart.

it would...but it would still be different from the other daemons.
sendmail has (i presume) the difficulty that it can't effectively
erase loaded configuration and load a new one, which is why it execs
itself with the previously used arg list when you hup it.

on the other hand...that certainly is easier.  :)