Subject: Re: libc tags
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/10/2000 10:47:42
On 10 Jul 2000, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

# itohy@netbsd.org (ITOH Yasufumi) writes:
# > > (1) does anybody use it?  and
# >
# > Let's make use of it.
# >
# > [ ... ]
# > -#define	_PATH_TAGS	"tags"
# > +#define	_PATH_TAGS	"tags /var/db/libc.tags /sys/kern/tags"
# >  #endif
#
# perhaps you missed a significant point from my previous mail:
#
# /var/db/libc.tags is fairly likely to be incorrect.
#
# (further, it seems ... less than desirable to propagate some
# fixed-path notion of the kernel or other sources.  Personally, i've
# not put the kernel sources in /usr/src or anyplace accessable via /sys
# in ... years on machines that i run.  Indeed, there's often the larger
# question "if i were to put a copy there, which copy would be the right
# one to put there.")

That seems anomalous to this monochromatic lupine; I kind of figured that
/usr/src and (/usr/src)/sys were pretty canonical.  It seems the right
place to put sources.

In any case, yes, perhaps it is incorrect to make assumptions during
a distribution, as per your above demonstration, but IFF we did make
that assumption, I'm willing to bet that it would fit 85% of the source-
enabled installations out there.  The other 15% could run it thru
sed or some such to tweak the tags file.

I would also argue that perhaps "libc.tags" is a bit on the specific side;
I know it's the biggest library, but it's not the only one.  I haven't
nm'd the libraries yet, but I'm wondering if there are things that are
defined in libc which are also defined somewhere else (I think not, as
that would be kind of rude, since isn't -lc automagically passed to
the loader _first_?).

If not, as I suspect, wouldn't it behoove us to create just a "lib.tags"
file, for full tree lookups?

[Note:  I don't advocate necessarily DISTRIBUTING it by default, but
 building should definitely be an option.]

Sorry to digress; some things just pop up at me from down the logical path
a ways.

# cgd

				--*greywolf;
--