Subject: /etc/ethers versus arp?
To: None <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/09/2000 22:19:26
What out there uses /etc/ethers, other than rarpd(8)? Would it be worth
considering munging either the format of /etc/ethers or the requirements
of arp(8) so that data need not be duplicated? Other than the [temp]
and [pub] bits, what arp(8) wants is almost identical to /etc/ethers,
with the ordering switched. I run rarpd and I'm going to start nailing
down MAC addresses with arp(8), and it would make sense to not have the
same data in two files.

Mason Loring Bliss             (( "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams  )) build  their nest  with fragments  dropped ((  from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tagore