Subject: Re: login.conf for selecting password verification method (was Re: Kerberos is on by default?)
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/09/2000 14:18:38
>> What does "specialized knowledge" mean?  I suspect more people know
>> how to "rpm -i" an SRPM and "rpm -bc" the spec file than know how
>> to use the NetBSD build system.

> I'm talking about the Linux system itself, not add-on SRPMs.  Ever
> try to build a Linux kernel from scratch?  ;-)

If you mean the kernel, you probably should have said so, especially
since this thread is about login authorization, not the kernel.  I
wasn't talking about "add-on" SRPMs; I was talking about the SRPMs Red
Hat ships, which are just as easy to use as "add-on" SRPMs.

And if we are talking about the kernel, then yes, I have built a Linux
kernel from scratch.  Have you ever tried to build a NetBSD kernel
from scratch?  Can you honestly say that either requires more
"specialized knowledge" than the other?  Both builds are weird and
confusing to a person who has no prior knowledge of the underlying
hardware platform.