Subject: libc tags
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/06/2000 23:10:35
Is there anybody who actually uses the libc tags database, built as
part of the libc build and installed into /var/db/libc.tags?

As far as I can tell, we don't do anything with it other than build
and install it, i.e. we don't bother ship default configurations of
any tools (e.g. vi) that look up entries in it, etc.

Further, it's likely to be incorrect, since the tags db hard-wires
whatever source tree location was used to build the system.  For
binary releases, "who knows how the builder built it?"  For systems
rebuilt from scratch, it may actually be sensible (assuming the
builder didn't move the source tree).

Anyway:

(1) does anybody use it?  and

(2) i hereby propose that we nuke it: don't build it, don't install
it, don't even provide a mechanism by which to build it.  (we don't
for other libraries.)

any comments?