Subject: Re: Unified
To: None <>
From: Michael Richardson <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/15/2000 16:59:36
    Todd> If someone [I'm not volunteering until and unless I can get some
    Todd> *decent* ELF platform-dependent dox] were to implement simple ELF
    Todd> parsing and relocation, I'd hedge bets that a.out binaries could be
    Todd> allowed to use ELF libraries.  On some platforms this may require
    Todd> dynamic generation of trampolines for function calls--not a new
    Todd> concept--and on others, where the calling convention is the same
    Todd> between formats, no conversion will be required.

    Todd> Before you say "it ain't possible", consider this: Solaris does it.
    Todd> (Run the Solaris ldd on a SunOS 4.x binary sometime.)

    Todd> [Quick] thoughts?

  Please! I'm in favour of it.
  I know next to nothing about the details of this stuff (your message told
me lots I didn't know). It would help immensely with the transition.

   :!mcr!:            |  Cow#1: Are you worried about getting Mad Cow Disease?
   Michael Richardson |  Cow#2: No. I'm a duck.
 Home: PGP key available.