Subject: Re: i386 linux_emul and /erc/passwd (Informix SE)
To: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@Tangro.DE>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/14/2000 16:31:52
--Cyberdog-MixedBoundary-000E128F

<SMALLER><SMALLER><FIXED>On 14. Juni 2000 16:19 Uhr,
</FIXED></SMALLER></SMALLER>
--Cyberdog-MixedBoundary-000E128F

bWFpbHRvOmRhdmVAdHVyYm9jYXQuZGU=
--Cyberdog-MixedBoundary-000E128F

<SMALLER><SMALLER><FIXED> wrote:</FIXED></SMALLER></SMALLER><SMALLER><S=
MALLER><FIXED>

</FIXED></SMALLER></SMALLER><SMALLER><SMALLER><FIXED>>> From: "Hauke
Fath" <<hf@Tangro.DE>

>> during installation of an Informix SE SQL server package (linux
i386

>> version) I have hit a problem that may or may not be minor:

>Why are you using informix which is not nearly as good as other SQL
servers

>(like PostgreSQL or Oracle etc.) ?

Is it not? There are two of them, the 2000 and the SE.

The SE has rather simple structure and is easily set up (apart from
said problem, which I just solved three minutes ago by 'ln -s
/etc/master.passwd shadow'  =3D8).

Do you know for sure that a linux Oracle binary runs on NetBSD? IBM's
DB/2 stuff does not, and the installer sucks rocks through a straw on
NT as well as the lunix version.

The SE, on the contrary, feels very unixish in the best sense. And for
performance... this is a developer setup.

	hauke

</FIXED></SMALLER></SMALLER>
--Cyberdog-MixedBoundary-000E128F--