Subject: Re: History (was Re: sysv ps(1) implementation)
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/09/2000 13:30:20
On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Andrew Brown wrote:

# Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:18:21 -0400
# From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
# To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
# Cc: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
#
# >I think it would have been mknod(path, 040777, 0) since the final arg
# >is the major/minor of the device.
#
# that looks like it makes the console into a directory.  :)

I believe that previously, when mknod permitted such actions, if it
was not a block/character device, the final arg was ignored (note
mknod(path, S_FIFO|0777, 0).  Now, mkfifo() is recommended.

Viz. mknod(2):

    "If mode indicates a block or character special file, dev is a configura-
     tion dependent specification of a character or block I/O device and the
     superblock of the device.  If mode does not indicate a block special or
     character special device, dev is ignored."

#
# unless, of course, you're on arm32 or hpcmips.

				--*greywolf;
--
                 A _Real_ Operating System for _Real_ Hackers.

                 With many thanks to the core team and UCB CSRG.