Subject: Re: sysv ps(1) implementation [was: ps(1) sysv silliness]
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/08/2000 18:13:04
On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Greywolf wrote:

: # it's mostly a case of programs that have very similar functionality
: # changing behavior based on argv[0] instead of having separate
: # binaries.  it saves on disk space.
:
: ...and load time after the first time you load one of them.

I don't believe that "bsd ps" vs. "sysv ps" is a sane thing on which to use
hardlinks, because of their inherent same base name.  I can already smell
the first time someone symlinks $HOME/bin/ps to /usr/bin/ps-sysv and ends up
with a really nasty surprise.