Subject: Re: /usr/mdec is a headache for shared ports
To: Matt Thomas <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/08/2000 09:56:06
On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 05:11:12PM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:
> The only significant difference between the user land portions
> of the pmax, cobalt, and hpcmips ports (all little-endian 32bit
> mips) is /usr/mdec.  (this is also true of macppc, ofppc, prep
> ports)
> In any case we need a port-specific place to put the boot
> files.
> /usr/m${MACHINE} is one option as is /usr/mdec/${MACHINE}.

I always suspected it was meant as /usr/m${MACHINE}, where the value
of MACHINE was "dec" on VAXen.

However, I'd prefer something like the 2nd scheme, but with a more
meaningful name (/usr/machdep/${MACHINE} ?)

 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of
   smart terminals.  -- (obscurity)