Subject: Re: ps(1) sysv silliness
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/08/2000 06:57:21
On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 11:16:03AM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:

> I think 1 is better - the idea of using a command line switch to choose
> which command line switches you want to use seems a little ... silly.
> Given that the people who use it would probably "alias ps ps-sysv", I
> guess it'd need to be a separate program...

I think Linux can somehow get both right in the same utility.  Could we
get NetBSD "ps" to recognise "-ef" (that's all one ever uses) and spawn
the SYSV version of itself?  Or does it need to be more comprehensive?

I notice it's the "f" options that triggers an error.  Maybe we can somehow
reserve that for SYSV compatibility?  (No, I don't feel up to checking
how Linux does it :-(

++L