Subject: Re: bin/10116: vi somewhat easily confused by suspension
To: None <gnats-bugs@gnats.netbsd.org, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/29/2000 11:28:00
[ On Monday, May 29, 2000 at 17:57:42 (+1000), Simon Burge wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: bin/10116: vi somewhat easily confused by suspension
>
> I haven't been following this too closely, but perhaps put nvi 1.79 in
> straight after the netbsd 1.5 is branched off.  If there are problems in
> nvi 1.79, at least they wont be in the release.  Or does 1.79 solve a
> know problem now?

I think waiting would be rather silly.  FreeBSD has been using 1.71 for
some time now.  Presumably 1.79 contains bug fixes over 1.71.  Since the
licensing issues have already been adequately debated all that should
remain is for TNF to officially confirm that the 1.79 license is not a
problem and then for it to be immediately imported.

This isn't a kernel interface here -- just an application (albiet one
that's rather central to at least some folks idea of what *BSD is! ;-)

It's not even a matter of the new release introducing incompatabilities
(at least not so far as I know).  NVI-1.79 should be considered to be
very stable by now -- it's been out for over a year and there have been
no subsequent releases that I know of.

I doubt most people (i.e. the ones who haven't experienced any bugs)
would even notice the difference (I've not noticed any differences on
FreeBSD with the little work I've done using their 1.71 vi).  Meanwhile
those who have had issues will finally be able to know if proper
integration of the current NVI release into NetBSD will solve their
problems or not.

--
							Greg A. Woods