Subject: Re: vfork + /bin/sh
To: None <>
From: Geoff Wing <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/15/2000 02:00:17
R. C. Dowdeswell <> typed:
:I have just committed some changes that make /bin/sh vfork(2) when it can.
:For something like:
:for i in $(jot 2000); do /bin/echo -n; done
:This results in a 30-50% speed improvement.
:If you discover any problems that this caused, please feel free to email
:me and send-pr.  ;-)

I thought we tried that path once (i.e. adding vfork() to sh) and it was
backed out for some reason.  Maybe I'm totally wrong and am remembering
something else - sorry, I can't check the CVS logs until anoncvs comes
back up.

Geoff Wing : <>     Work URL:
Rxvt Stuff : <>      Ego URL :
Zsh Stuff  : <>       Phone   : (Australia) 0413 431 874