Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d/rc.conf[.d] changes....
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/08/2000 02:33:01
On Sun, 7 May 2000, Greywolf wrote:
> # ... and init.d to switch on/off services, instead of service=YES/NO
> # one-line config files.
> #
> #  - Hubert
>
> 1.  init.d would be confusing to quite a few people, I think.
>
> 2.  The configuration you are proposing is IRIX.  I will state flat out that
>     IRIX is brain-dead.  Most people coming to NetBSD from outside are going
>     to be bewildered at these two points if they get implemented (please
>     don't).

So you don't like Irix, fine. Actually, what I had in mind when I wrote my
mail was Solaris, which happens to do things the same way as Irix. And a
number of other unix derivats.

/I/ would'd mind being consistend with the rest of the world...

> 3.  The rc.d scripts shouldn't have the config information in them.
>     "That's why we have rc.conf in the first place."

Noone suggested that - at least I didn't.

Rest of mail deleted uncommented as it's got nothing to do with what I
wrote. Maybe try to stay on the subject...

 - Hubert

--
NetBSD - because Unix isn't just #include <linux.h>, i386, ELF, ...!