Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/05/2000 17:09:09
> It's more than religious, it's technical.  Editing a splintering of
> files is a PAIN IN THE GOD DAMNED ASS compared to being able to edit
> one file.

Quite.  This is the major problem with rc.d in the first place.

Indeed, shortly after rc.d went in, I saw messages from at least two
people who hadn't participated in the debate before complaining about
difficulty of doing some human administration tasks under the new
scheme.

> Or hasn't that sunk in yet?

Sunk in or not, I think they just don't care about how much of a pain
it may be for a human to work with the brave new setup.  The whole
thing is predicated upon mechanized administration being more important
than human administration, after all.

> I can only hope that my concerns will not go unheeded.  And I get the
> feeling that I do _not_ speak for only myself.

Of course you don't.  I've been quiet on this issue because NetBSD has
already told me they don't care about me, so there's no point in
speaking up.  (Indeed, I'm still even here only because two of my jobs
have NetBSD in production use.)

I agree with greywolf.  I just haven't felt it worth bothering to say
so because it's been made so clear that NetBSD just doesn't care about
people who prefer ease of human administration over ease of mechanized
administration.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca