Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/03/2000 10:17:53
On Tue, 2 May 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

# > My own preference (bias, history, whatever) is for individual files.
# > The first application I used that used this technique irritated me,
# > but I have changed my mind over the years, as I decided that a
# > directory is just another type of file and realised that "vi
# > /etc/rc.conf.d/*" works about as well as "vi /etc/rc.conf".
# >
# 	On this I will have to violently disagree - I managed a large
# 	number of IRIX boxes for a few years and vi /etc/config/* was
# 	not a particularly nice interface.

Seconded!

"vi rc.conf" and going through line by line or screen by screen is much
more convenient than having to type ":n" every time I want to switch
which config I'm looking at.

# 		David/absolute
# 				   -- www.netbsd.org: Value design over hype --
"Yes, YES!  To Obi-Wan you listen!"

And rc.conf -> rc.conf.d exclusively is not a good design.

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: Multi-platform OS