Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/03/2000 10:07:45
Luke Mewburn wrote:
# (*) Note to the peanut gallery; I'm sure a few vocal non-rc.d liking
# users might take this as an opportunity to start rubbishing rc.d
# again.  Please don't bother; we've heard it all before,

Then LISTEN, damn it!  We don't write this stuff to see our phosphors
glow for the hell of it!  We have some strenuous objections to #3, at
least.

For what it's worth, #1, #2, #4 and #5 make sense.  #3 is going to be
the most contentious issue of the bunch.

Look, the work you're trying to do here is commendable - I give you an
A+ on the effort side, but there are ways to make this work which
WON'T offend the sensibilities of the users who DO know what they're
doing (and, by the way, if the users aren't WILLING to learn about
what they're doing, WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING RUNNING A SYSTEM!?).

Okay, sorry, I'll back off a bit.

#undef RABID_SYSADMIN	/* Sorry... */

# and I'll delete
# any such messages without replying EVEN if there's a possibility of a
# sane idea in the message.

Shooting off your own foot again?

# I.e, if you want to constructively contribute
# to the discussion, please do.  Otherwise please keep your `reply'
# trigger finger idle for a while...

I'm not here to "rubbish it" as you put it, but I think the suggestions
I've made ought to be taken seriously.

I'll sum it up:  rc.conf.d IS OKAY, but I want to be able to run my stuff
from rc.conf without my system whinging about it.  That's an extreme.
The other alternative is to allow rc.conf.d vars to override rc.conf
vars, or vice versa, depending on preference.  This is not as fraught
with error-prone-ness as you seem to think.  The automatons could toss
their own stuff into rc.conf.d, and at boot-up you get a warning saying
that there is something that should be in rc.conf but isn't.

Luke may now delete this message :-)