Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/02/2000 10:57:07
On Tue, 2 May 2000, Giles Lean wrote:

> On Mon, 1 May 2000 16:15:52 +0100 (BST)  David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > 	If you have a tool that can take N rc.conf.d files, put them
> > 	into a single file, allow it to be edited and then safely split
> > 	everything back into individual config files then you have just
> > 	about all the functionality needed to be able to mechanically
> > 	update or upgrade a single rc.conf, particularly if you keep a
> > 	copy of the stock rc.conf around and have an option to list all
> > 	changes form the default.
>
> True, but I would point out though that dropping in files via pkg_add,
> rsync, rdist, rcp, etc is easier than dropping in files and afterward
> running commands.  Running commands post-install is clearly possible
> so this isn't conclusive.

	pkg_add already has options for running commands post-install,
	and in the default case you would not need to add any options to
	rc.conf for anything outside the base system.

> My own preference (bias, history, whatever) is for individual files.
> The first application I used that used this technique irritated me,
> but I have changed my mind over the years, as I decided that a
> directory is just another type of file and realised that "vi
> /etc/rc.conf.d/*" works about as well as "vi /etc/rc.conf".

	On this I will have to violently disagree - I managed a large
	number of IRIX boxes for a few years and vi /etc/config/* was
	not a particularly nice interface.

		David/absolute
				   -- www.netbsd.org: Value design over hype --