Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/01/2000 20:54:20
[ On Tuesday, May 2, 100 at 00:53:08 (+1000), Darren Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
>
> If we had something which did "S*" and "K*" scripts, there would be
> an "Snetwork" so people could delete "Knetwork" and adding "shutdown"
> is the answer to the "remove the K-script" problem (in a round about
> fashion).  If "network stop" is a problem because it happens too early,
> then maybe that needs to be addressed separately (for example, it should
> not stop just because you go to single user mode).  As much as this
> makes me puke, unless we went to a different implementation of rc, there
> is no other way around this problem.

Well, actually, there is, unless you'd call what I propose a "different
implementation"....

We need two things:

  - "rcorder" must be slightly smarter so that it can calculate the
    proper order for running scripts with the "stop" argument -- the
    current simple flip to reverse their order isn't, so far as I can
    tell, the correct algorithm.

  - a separate directory for shutdown scripts (/etc/rc.shutdown.d ? ;-)

Of course the latter implies that scripts actually live in /etc/init.d
or some such and are hard-linked into /etc/rc.d and /etc/shutdown.d.

--
							Greg A. Woods