Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/01/2000 16:07:49
On Tue, 2 May 100, Darren Reed wrote:

> So, in short, I think we should stick with using "stop", not implement
> "shutdown" and recommend people keep fire extinguishers nearby in case
> their hard drives catch on fire :-)  To me, adding "shutdown" and having
> it different to "stop" is a real case of "creeping featurism" with no
> significant gains but possible confusion later on as people learn that
> "stop" isn't "stop" on NetBSD in all cases...

	We still need a clean way to make 'rc.d/network stop' stop the
	network from the command line, while not taking the network down
	too early in the shutdown process (Otherwise I'm quite happy with
	the ide of just having 'stop').

> Something eles I'd like to be able to do, which would take support
> from init(8), is to be able to do "shutdown now" from my xterm and
> have it go to single user mode with the console redirected to my
> xterm (or at least not kill the xterm & shell).

	Thats a damn cute creature you have feeping there... :)

		David/absolute
				   -- www.netbsd.org: Value design over hype --