Subject: Re: Adding a users group to /etc/group (Was: CVS commit: basesrc)
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/30/2000 09:40:29
On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

# Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 23:26:20 +0200 (MET DST)
# From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
# To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
# Cc: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org
#
# On 29 Apr 2000, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
# > Fine, David. Please discuss this in public for a while and get
# > consensus. Don't go off doing something like this without getting some
# > general sense of what people thing FIRST.
#
# Right, and here's my 0.02EUR:
# We already have groups "staff" and "guest" in there, and I think we
# shouldn't add a third group like that.
#
# I'd rather see only one ("users" would be a fine name...). I don't know
# what consequences removing staff & guest e.g. have on pkgsrc, and how
# people in general would like it.

Don't remove "staff" by default.  I actually make use of the three
distinct groups "staff", "users" and "guest" on my system (although
"users" is not called "users", it is called "denizens" :).

There _should_ be a users group in there, although it should be
site-defined.

#
#
#  - Hubert
#
#

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: true inheritors of the UNIX(tm) legacy.