Subject: Re: Library rebuilds (was Re: lib/9702: Makefile lossage for crypto-intl)
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/14/2000 10:54:46
>> If I do a "make build" in /usr/src and it gets down into the "make
>> dependall" step and then falls over, then if I do a "make dependall"
>> in /usr/src it insists on rebuilding libraries as it walks through
>> the tree, even for libraries for which there's no need for a
>> rebuild.

> I've been doing a lot of rebuilding on alpha, i386 and pmax lately
> and haven't noticed this.  I use UPDATE=1 - do you?

No.  This normally happens to me when I'm trying to do a full build
from source and it doesn't complete for some reason - anything from a
disk filling up to needing to reboot the box.  I go to /usr/src and
type "make -n build" and start over from the step that failed, which is
usually the first part of the "make dependall && make _BUILD=1 install"
line.

> Can you list some steps (and relevent env vars) to reproduce this?

I should be able to do this later today.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca