Subject: Library rebuilds (was Re: lib/9702: Makefile lossage for crypto-intl)
To: None <tech-crypto@netbsd.org, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/14/2000 10:36:00
On tech-crypto,

>>> I dug a bit deeper - it's asn1_compile that's the problem.  [...]

I've noticed something very similar with "ordinary" libraries (which is
why I'm taking it to tech-userlevel).  If I do a "make build" in
/usr/src and it gets down into the "make dependall" step and then falls
over, then if I do a "make dependall" in /usr/src it insists on
rebuilding libraries as it walks through the tree, even for libraries
for which there's no need for a rebuild.

Rather annoying.  Fortunately, since it doesn't reinstall the
libraries, most *programs* don't get rebuilt as a result...but things
that have "private" libraries do.

This happens on at least alpha and sparc.  The source tree in question
dates from 2000-02-19.

So far it hasn't irritated me enough to make me ferret out why.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca