Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/12/2000 17:48:30
[ On Tuesday, April 11, 2000 at 16:50:13 (+1000), Simon Burge wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
>
> A little more on this - I've just tried using "faststart" instead of
> "start" in /etc/rc, and the boot up times on my pmax are the same
> with either method.  If that's the case, then I guess there's no use
> optimising ps(1) on the basis that booting will be faster.  Sound fair?

I suspect either your setting of "faststart" didn't stick or there's
some other large amount of time being spent elswhere that totally hides
all of the gains afforded by "faststart".  Even with just my original
patch that still does the 'ps' I still see a three-fold speed-up on my
486.

What's also interesting to me though is that my patch speeds up the
system shutdown greatly too (though obviously not as much as moving to a
"shutdown" argument would)!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods