Subject: Re: Fwd: locale patch repository is moved.
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: MINOURA Makoto <minoura@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/31/2000 00:41:10
|> In <7647.954425839@lychee.itojun.org>
|> itojun = Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net> wrote:

itojun> 	One issue is dlopen() issues (can't use dlxxx from within dynamically
itojun> 	linked libraries), as raised several times recently.  Was the issue
itojun> 	resolved?

I was going to post a summary and commit Takuya's patch this
weekend.  I've tested it on my alpha, sparc and i386.

 - Current dl* on ELF has a problem when they are called
   from dynamically linked modules (causes undefined symbol
   error).  This is because the symbols dl* are not exported.
 - The solution is to move them from crt0.o to libc.
 - Until we bump the major version of libc, we should remain
   them in crt0.o, as well as in libc, to keep binary
   compatibility.
 - a.out does not have this kind of problem.

I've modified to clean up the patch, and still has some questions:

 - libexec/ld.elf_so/common.c is now NOT a very good name.
   It should be moved to lib/libc/dlfcn to be included from
   ld.elf_so and libc and renamed to more reasonable name.
 - I do not know the minor version should be bumped or not.
   This modification does not at all affect a.out.

--
Minoura Makoto <minoura@netbsd.org> or <minoura@kw.netlaputa.ne.jp>