Subject: Re: Fwd: locale patch repository is moved.
To: MINOURA Makoto <minoura@netbsd.org>
From: PER4MANCE, J. Dolecek <jdolecek@per4mance.cz>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/30/2000 18:14:08
MINOURA Makoto wrote:
>  - Current dl* on ELF has a problem when they are called
>    from dynamically linked modules (causes undefined symbol
>    error).  This is because the symbols dl* are not exported.
>  - The solution is to move them from crt0.o to libc.
>  - Until we bump the major version of libc, we should remain
>    them in crt0.o, as well as in libc, to keep binary
>    compatibility.

Is this really necessary (to keep the copy in crt0.o) ?
Since the dynamically linked modules were not able
to access it before, there is no interface change
for them, just some staff is added. Dynamically
linked programs have access to both crt0.o symbols
as well as libc, so there is no interface
change even for them. So bumping major is not
appropriate and we don't need to keep the
copy in crt0.o AFAICS.

>  - libexec/ld.elf_so/common.c is now NOT a very good name.
>    It should be moved to lib/libc/dlfcn to be included from
>    ld.elf_so and libc and renamed to more reasonable name.

Yes. dl.c ? :)

>  - I do not know the minor version should be bumped or not.
>    This modification does not at all affect a.out.

I think it should. Something would be added to libc, so it
should have it's minor bumped. Not that minor number really
matters for ELF, but anyway :)

Jaromir